19.10.09

Simply Electronics; A review...

This post is a both an account and an offer of advice to electronic goods consumers currently s***ing themselves as their order from www.simplyelectronics.net, through Amazon or not, has gone terribly wrong. The following advice is comprised of extensive research from reviews of previous customers and personal dealings with them very recently, myself...

Firstly, here are my top tips of advice if you are considering purchasing from them but haven't done so yet as their VERY low prices are extremely appealing and also what to do if you have and are worried...

1.) Use a credit card and DON'T use Paypal. (for legal money recovery reasons this is highly advisable)

2.) If you don't have a credit card, use your debit card but through Google Checkout as they care about their reputation and wont be best pleased if you complaint with issues of foul trading.

3.) If you provide an 'unverified' address with your card, you will almost certainly be asked to fax across to the company a copy of a utility and scan of your card (with certain information blocked out at your discretion) My point in this tip is very clear. If you provide an unverified address, cancel your order and submit a new one WITH a verified address, do not submit those documents as that will make you very susceptible to identity fraud if 'misplaced' during the destruction of those documents which you obviously cannot witness!

4.) If you indeed need to cancel your order or in fact (as many many many have) are simply chasing your purchases that never arrived and aren't making any progress with them after several weeks... Do not ring the customer service helpline as it WILL cost you a decent amount of money whilst waiting on hold for an extensive period of time. If you are lucky enough to get through to someone they have little authority to personally re-assure you for anything or patch you through to someone who can appease your discomfort.

5.) DO however, construct a meaningful, urgent and legally informative e-mail (not a threat but as near as), that maintains a polite demeanour, whilst simultaneously stressing how you are now sick and tired of miscommunication and want your information/update and or goods/refund immediately, to the following e-mail address....

vanessa@simplyelectronics.net

You WILL receive a reply within at least 24 hours and it WILL put you at ease with an explanation as to what has gone wrong and how it can be resolved quickly. I read about her reputation extensively on forums and also saw her actively reply to threads on said forums offering help and information on the most viscous of accusations.


To cut a long story short I ordered a Wide-angle Lens, was sent an e-mail to verify who I was of which, obviously, I didn't want to submit the fore-mentioned documents and consequently cancelled my order. I also began to research the company's reputation (which I should have done prior to my order) and began to vehemently panic. The extent of this company's unhappy customer catalogue is unfathomable. In addition it appears they are dealing with Imported goods from Hong Kong (although I cannot back this up this) which may be a possible reason for slow deliveries if out of stock. I read many a horror story of months without money or items and it dawned on me that I had lost my money with little chance of recovering it as I use Paypal and my debit card which protect the seller to the very end.

HOWEVER fret not my avid and patient readers, as we must not forget Amazon's 97% positive feedback record for the company, it's ludicrously low prices, and of course the one and only Vanessa who single handedly extinguished my embers of fear and angst with efficient, speedy and to the point progress e-mails of my order. She personally saw my transaction through to completion. She is a customer service Queen let down by her company, I'd say.

On a final note, I hope that the following is true...

A.) That you managed to find this post and it's advice useful and informative (in my attempt to aid people that found themselves in a similar position to me late at night)

B.) That you found my post with ease and had a quick glance at my work whilst you were here

and finally C.)

That you consider the point I am stressing here which is, although they have a pretty awful reputation, they aren't actually as bad as made out because no-one blogs or writes on forums with positive experiences, it seems. If you follow my recommended procedure when things go wrong, I believe it would be worth it for the savings of often around the £200 mark. After all, despite all the horror stories I received a full refund less then a full week after clicking the order button which is equal or dare I say better, then most online company's response times. I then went on to purchase my lens (from a real man in the end, admittedly) for a higher price the next day.

Disclaimer: This is obviously my personal opinion and NOT to be taken as fact, just incase you are let down and wish to blame my advice ha!