6.12.09

My Mate Dave


So this weekend I hooked up with one of Kent's finest up-and-coming dubstep DJs. He mixes some of the best oldschool bassy tunes with funky hiphop, triphop and generally anything fresh with big, cutting edge dubstep vibes that melt your ears. Currently the resident DJ for the famous 666 nights held at The Loft nightclub in Maidstone & more recently at CHILL in Canterbury, he has had the opportunity, along with fellow Twisted DJs, to showcase his turntablistic skill & trickery with some pretty heavy names. These include the likes of Zane Lowe, Pendulum, Rusko, Caspa, Erol Alkan, Kissy Sellout, Calvin Harris, Nero, 16 bit & the list goes on.

Now I can't hype this guy up enough, if you like your Bass. He's got some serious, serious talent and is now part of of the dj collective, Midnight Flight. There's djs left, right and centre these days, using mixing software and a whole array of digital aids. I see my fair share of them living around London but My Mate Dave is a straight up vinyl mixer with a pure passion that isn't numbers-through-the-door, based aka a club banger rapist. You've got to love your Dub to be fair. I had to get him to completely shut it all off at one point as I couldn't stop myself, nor him, from screw face rocking which was distracting me from the task at hand. The task being to promo shoot this badman in his own mixing palace. It was a proper laugh and I really enjoyed it to the extent that I felt guilty having to rush off.









You can catch My Mate Dave every Tuesday @ Twisted down at the Loft, Maidstone. Or alternatively every Wednesday down @ CHILL in Canterbury. If you can't make it down in the week, I advise you make the effort to get down to one of the twice monthly 666 'Dubbed Out' nights, which showcase drum&bass and dubstep's most famous talents.

To get a much better feel for him, check out his myspace or for booking information, e-mail him on djishuk@aol.com.