26.12.09

The Poland Wrench Massacre

This shoot, I conducted in the mechanic's workshop at the cycle shop I work in. These portraits are more simplistic in their construction. I knew taking photos of such an aesthetically intimidating guy in the place that is effectively his second home, would leave me with interesting images whether I had a good idea or not. Therefore there is no pretentious prologue to these shots this time, yet they are equally as affecting as my previous portrait shoots which of course share many of the same traits of construction. I am referring to my adoration for spatial noise of course.

The first shot is a personal highlight as it reminds me so vividly of a scene from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, just only without the hilarious mask. The mechanic is polish and also boasts nearly all the requirements of an alpha male. He is nothing short of an absolute legend around the shop for his frank and to the point demeanour, whether that's in your face or not. In fact he's so much of an L.A.D it almost scares me with envy. Needless to say he is not allowed anywhere near customers on the shop floor outside of the windowless workshop!



Having said all of that, the last image of the trio I am posting, I stumbled across an hour later when the shoot was long over, catching him in a period of boredom. It totally negates everything I have said and makes him look just over five years old. It's for this reason that I love it... Timblography's Cliche of the week: "Is this more angelic image, the real guy hidden deep behind the steel facade of masculinity?" I am pretty sure I wont be suggesting this to his face though.