1.11.09

Representation...

After my recent shoot of my glorious grandmother, I produced one image especially that intrigued some people as to what it was saying. So much so that I consequently printed it large scale a few times. My family in particular seemed to enjoy a level of it that was intended to throw quite a negative light on the immediate family that surround her, in the form of obvious awkward undertones and uncomfortable body language. Nonetheless they enjoyed it to degree that quite upset me, as in my opinion as the creator of the image, it's not a shot to be hung in the dining room and celebrated. It's a little dark and upsetting for me to enjoy a roast dinner in the presence of.
I came to the conclusion that in fact my family are just desperate for a lovely picture of my gran and were overlooking what it portrays, in (with all due respect) blind ignorance to why she ended up positioned the way she did, undirected and instinctive to her feelings.

SO...

Instead of continuing to just moan like pretentious arty fag, I decided to shoot her again. She's an excellent model and anyone that has even met her for 5 minutes, will understand when I call her an absolute nutcase! She's is one of the most melancholy and hilariously happy women if you spare her a few minutes of your attention and she throws witticisms with the best of them! The following facial expressions are a result of her sarcastically bullying me for being a photographer and generally having a good time as I lavish her with attention. The second one is out of focus a touch, but how DARE I not upload such a cheeky expression!